Tuesday, October 18, 2011

live bigger

My friend took his own life a couple of days ago. We knew each other well but since I left Atlanta we had kinda lost touch with one another. It happens when you move...people who you were close with move on. It's nothing personal. Maintaining any long distant relationship is difficult, romantic relationships have a the bonus physical layer that provides incentive. But platonic relationships are more of a challenge. They take a lot of work from both parties and circumstances on either end can make the connection thinner and begin to fray. As I said it's nothing personal, just life continuing. When I visit Atlanta (and I've been gone a couple years) most of my friends are delighted to see me as I am them. Real friends are almost always to make the time for each other and take up, as best possible, from where we left off.
When last I was visiting I got to spend some time with my friend. A movie and dinner, catching up..love live, work and the usual man gossip. It was the last time I'll ever see him. I'm grateful for that night. Our friendship was nothing deep, we didn't share intimate secrets but it was a genuine friendship as he was a genuine guy. It's important, in retrospect, to enjoy the time you get to spend with friends, because you never know if you'll see them again. Sometimes we simply lose touch & sometimes other forces intervene.
I'll miss my friend and I long ago gave up trying to figure out the selfish loss associated with the grim reaper. I just remember that I have a responsibility to live life bigger, for all those fallen comarades who won't get a chance to do it for themselves!


No comments:

Post a Comment

express you, ask me, challenge it...