Sunday, March 24, 2013

The places I've been


Like most I’m always looking for understanding about who I am. Of course, to know who you are (and thus where you’re going) requires some examination of where one started. As such, here is an elementary (and annotated) list of the places I have been;

  • In my tree fort (no girlz allowed)
  • Floating in the river behind my house (homemade rafts were always the best)
  • Hitch-hiking on Route 66 from Chicago to LA (I thought I was the great adventurer)
  • Passed out on a sidewalk (beer than liquor ... never sicker)
  • To my father’s graveside ( though it took me another 30 yrs to actually bury him)
  • In a dirt garage lifting weights (with the serious juice heads)
  • In lots of fancy athletic clubs lifting weights (with the disco tits boiz)
  • On the overnight train from Paris to Florence (and I was still late for class)
  • Hiking a hillside near Pisa(nirvana with a crusty loaf and aqua con gas)
  • Camping naked (the full monty)
  • On a 100 mile canoe trip (who knew I could kneel that long)
  • Playing right field (I still can’t catch)
  • In a rehab hospital (it was completely about the drama)
  • To five schools of higher learning (but only received 2 degrees)
  • The Millennium March on DC and “The Wedding” at the Lincoln Memorial (the former an unfuckingbelievable success…the latter a personal failure)
  • To the closing of the Monster in Key West (it was all about decadence)
  • On either side of a soup line both have their rewards)
  • To too many funerals (know your sero-status and the status of those you sleep with)
  • On my knees giving thanks and asking help (find Something to believe in)
  • To tea dances and t-rooms (when they were fresh and when they got old)
  • Quadrilatero d’oro in Milan (truly excessive, who did I think I was?)
  • To AA, NA, CMA, and SCA meetings (and at last I understand how it works)
  • In a classroom – teaching and learning (again both have their rewards)
  • To Burning Man (without the assistance of any mind altering stimulus)
  • To therapy (sincere effort will enable genuine change)
  • To all the places I’ve ever needed to go. (admittedly, unaware of the fundamental lessons and too aware of the superfluous)

My philosophy can generally be summed up by the following creed; eat good food, be humble, embrace truth, challenge hate, put in more than you take, test fear, laugh at yourself whenever possible, dance regularly, find your courage, seize faith & live

No comments:

Post a Comment

express you, ask me, challenge it...