Thursday, November 17, 2011

entitlement

What I want to know is when did we become such a self-absorbed society of entitled boobs? It seems everywhere I turn theres another example of this boorish trend.

On the eplaya (a forum of e-burners - those Burning Man residents who congregate online the other 51 weeks of the year) there currently is a plethora of topics regarding a new system for tickets that has everyone (or a small vocal bunch) befuddled. There is a recurring sentiment that some of authors feel that because they have participated before, or they are artists or they have purple hair they should recieve some kind of special treatment. I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that their historic support has made recurring years possible. But I would pose this question " would the event not have occured if you had not been present?" Yeah, it would have happened...in case you didn't know the answer to that question. Sure your participation is meaningful, but from a community standpoint is it anymore significant then the person who has been present 2 yrs or 4 yrs. Is it more significant than the virgin from last year, or the volunteers?

This is one of many examples of the selfish behavior we all run into each day. I'm getting kind of tired of it and have decided that, in as polite a way as possible, remind these people that we are all in this together. I'm not better or worse than you and deserve no more or less than you. Of course, if you have more money or have a more aggressive or creative approach to a situation you could get the advantage. But don't pull that I'm entitled crap with me - it won't fly!

I'm still just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment

express you, ask me, challenge it...